Sunday 30 January 2011

62 days to go..

This week has been relatively quiet, I ran 10 miles the Sat before and 5 miles on Monday before and felt an injury coming on so I decided to go to the Physio on Tuesday this week. I had a Sports massage which was rather painful at times but helped, my legs were still really stiff from the 45 mile race a week and half before. I got lots of tips off the physio (Nigel Kimpton - ex International Athlete) who was a great help - he is looking to swim the Channel next year which is a massive achievement. He gave me 12 stretches to do twice a week, take ice baths after long endurance events, this speeds up recovery massively - I have been taking hot baths - not good. So next time I run a big run I am going to try a 10 minute ice bath post race. This weekend I ran 2 x 8 mile runs in times of 59 and 58.20, my leg held up and left knee was okay but could feel little niggles, so hopefully should be okay for the Thames trot 50 on Saturday. This week I am going to run but low key in preparation for Saturday. Saturday will be my longest training run pre 100. 50 mile race along the Thames path starting in Oxford finishing in Henley, I am running this one on my own, a friend from Jurassic coastal challenge (Paul) is running it so hoping to hook up with him at the start of the race to run a bit with him as not that confident map reading. I am going to have to learn one day so this is the time to do it, how hard can it be ... a compass and a map...I am staying in Oxford on Friday night as it's too far for me to get to on Saturday morning and then my mate Ash is picking me up in Henley. This race is costing me a few pounds but it's got to be done, I am hoping it's a good one and the weather holds out. This week I bought 72 Gu gels costing me £108, this will take me up to the 100 miler. I sat down with James a couple of weeks ago and for the 100 miler I will need to fill 2 x drop bags with 20 gels, ibuprofen, salt tables, cap and jacket, will also need head torch. I am going to have to run with my polar watch as well and wont be able to track distance apart from laps as the Garmin only lasts for about 10 hours which I think is pretty poor for a £250 watch but there you go.With 62 days to go I am starting to get excited, it's going to be a massive challenge but a great achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment