Saturday 15 January 2011

Wendover to Paddington - 45 miler

Today, we started off at 8.30 in a pub in Wendover, today's run for me was a training run for the 100 miler, good way to get back into running after Christmas. We started off running through Wendover, through Chorley wood, all off road, muddy and slippery. When your running in this kind of terrain even though your running slower, you don't realise how much it takes out of your legs, they have to work harder. I was dripping after 10 miles and it wasn't amazingly warm and I was thinking this is going to be a long day. Ploughed on, we covered the first 25 miles in 4 hours which was good and then we were on to the Thames path into Paddington for 20 miles, head down running slowly, my ankle was playing up at points so took some of James' ibuprofen, he had to take a couple for his knee as well.When we got to around 32 miles I was really feeling hit, I had to walk for half a mile, I had only had one wee all day and had probably drunk 3 litres of waters, I hadn't really eaten much solid food as at the aids stations they provided sausage rolls and crisps but that's not really what you want, you want pizza, sandwhiches,etc.I think I was feeling sick because there were lots of energy gels and water in me swishing around, after walking for half a mile i picked up again and carried on at a steady pace ranging from 9.30-10 min miles, again at around 38 miles I was feeling rather sick again so walked for a while, then battled on, when I knew I had 10k to go we ran pretty much the whole way in, James and I ran with a few people today - a guy called Ian who was training for the Gobi desert Challenge and an American girl who was very fit (She won best girl in Sahara desert race last year). We finished the race in 7.09 which was pretty good considering last years time was 8.06 so happy with that, I feel pretty tired writing this but good to get a long one in. Got a 50 miler in 3 weeks and then Cambridge marathon end of Feb, I will try and get some other long runs in as well then taper out through March up to 2nd April for Umstead. Today was tough at points but very enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment