Saturday 18 June 2011

Dilemma

I haven't blogged in a while, mainly because I haven't had the internet in my new flat and I haven't really been running. I put in a 65 mile week 2 weeks ago. Since then I have gone off the rails a bit, I have been out 6 nights in the last 2 weeks, all very good fun but I have had a chest infection as well. Last Sunday I started the Southend Half marathon and I knew I shouldn't have as was coughing heavily pre race and during. I ended up running 6 miles and pulling out - my first ever DNF in a half marathon, very demoralising. This week I have been coughing heavily and decided to go the doctors on Thursday and he said I have a chest infection so I am now on antibiotics. Vermont 100 is 4 weeks today, I wont be running for another 3-4 days until this cough has gone. I am suppose to be running Vermont with my friend James Elson who is attempting the Grand Slam. James has been injured all year with a stress fracture and is attempting the Western States 100 next Saturday with his longest run being 16 miles in the last 3 months. I am praying that he runs and finishes Western States then we can go and do Vermont in 4 weeks. He is going to let me know on the Monday after the race if he will be doing Vermont so a week on Monday which will give me just under 3 weeks to put some training in for Vermont. This is a massive ask I know but I will give it my best shot and I think if I can do one x 100 and I can do another even though I wont be anywhere near the same level of fitness, plus this race will be hotter and have climbs of 14,000 ft compared to Umstead of 8000 ft. I have decided that if James pulls out of Vermont,I will do the same, I am not going to go out to America on my own to do this one as it's a 3 hour drive from the airport to race as well and I am not up for that on my own. I spoke to British Airways and they said I can transfer my flight to another destination so that's what I will do. So for me at the moment, I am trying to get better and await James' performance at Western States. You may say I am being a coward but that's my decision....so lets see what happens over the next week.I will be following James at Western States, it looks to be a massive race again this year with the likes of Roes, Jornet and Sharman, Anton misses out with a broken leg. Peace Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment