Sunday 6 February 2011

Thames Trot 50

This weekend I was running the Thames Trot 50. A race along the Thames Path from Oxford to Henley of 50 miles. Friday night I caught the train to Oxford from Paddington and stayed in a hotel by the start of the race. I woke up at 7 had some brown toast with honey and a tea then I walked down to the start of the race for 8ish to register. I met up with a guy called Paul who I met through James at Jurassic coastal challenge and a couple of his mates Luke and Webbo. We began the race at 8.45ish a little later than official start time, we ran through Oxford and onto Thames path, we started off at a pace of around 9.30 min miles. We ran along the Thames path into wind for the first 10-15 miles, I was running with Paul, Luke and Webbo, then Paul and I ran for a bit then after about 20 miles I ran on. I took a couple of pain killers at 20 miles as legs and left knee were a little sore. Then after a bout 27 miles I started running with a guy called Dave, I ran with him from there to the end, he was a good bloke and knew the course as he had run the 2nd half as a training run. We stopped at various check points to load up on Water and bits of food, I didn't consume as many gels as last time, tried to take on sweets instead as I find with too many gels you start to feel nauseas. Unfortunately at 39 miles I started to feel sick so had to walk for half a mile. David was meeting his wife at 40 miles for some drinks and food, he gave me a Isotonic and then we ran the whole way in at a slow pace. Running the last few miles was tough but you have that end goal in your head and after running 40 plus miles with 10 to go you just count them down, the scenery running into Henley was picturesque and some of the houses were immense. We finished in 8.12 which I was happy with as wanted between 8 and 9 hours. Sitting in the chair with a tea at the end of the race I was thinking how am I going to run double this!!!I am going to set off a lot slower pace of 12 min miles, so aim to run 5 miles an hour which would take me to 20 hours. I am not aiming for a time in the 100 miler as my first one, all I want to do is finish the race pre the 30 hour cut off line. With 55 days to go I am so up for the 100 now, I just want to be on the start line now. I will probably rest for a couple of days now then get back onto the training. I would recommend todays race to anyone who wants to run an ultra in the UK. Go Beyond are very good at organising races and are quite well established.

No comments:

Post a Comment