Wednesday 9 March 2011

This week

This week I am aiming to run a big week as haven't been putting in the miles over the last few weeks due to illness, boozing and small injuries. 3 days into the week I am on 34.3 so I am going strong. I always find when your trying to put in lots of miles, it becomes a bit like trying to get a run in whenever you can and you're just running for the sake of it and not through enjoyment. For me with a 3 hour daily commute and working full time in media, I just have to try and squeeze in a run anytime I can. I am very lucky as we get an hour and half lunch break so I can squeeze in 10k up the gym. Today I ran 6.2 at lunch and 6.3 along the seafront tonight and pre running tonight I was on the train feeling tired but as soon as I got out there I felt good, I ran the first 3 miles in 20 mins which is a bit quick then the next 3.3 miles in 24 mins. I was running along the seafront tonight in the dark watching other people run, people on their own, people in 2s, people in large groups and I was thinking what a great sport this is, everyone is out there working away, all of us have our own goals whether it be to lose weight, get fit, run a 5k,10k,half marathon, marathon or ultra. I just thought you don't get many sports where you talk to people and everyone looks happy and you can cheer each other on. I find when you run most people give you the runner's nod or a smile, most runners are happy. With just over 3 weeks to go, it's getting to the crunch and everything I am doing now is all for that end goal. My friend James who was suppose to be running isn't running now due a stress fracture, he is going to be out of action for 6-8 weeks which is a massive shame but he has a big year this year with Comrades, Western States, Leadville and many more races so it's important he rests and the injury is rectified. Good news for me is, he is still going to come out to North Caroline as he already had his flight and accommodation booked and I could do with the support.So he will be very valuable to me finishing the 100 miler in one peace and can advise me accordingly. James got me into running in the first place, I remember walking over to his desk when he was a manager on Pinnacle at CC and asking him which marathon to enter, we entered the Essex marathon, that was 2 years ago in early May. Now look at me, I am running a 100 mile ultra marathon in 3 weeks time, without meeting James I doubt I would have ever got into running, he is a great inspiration. There are people running across America like Dean Karnazes and Marshall Ulrich, then you have your super athletes like Scott Jurek, Anton Krupicka, Geoff Roes and Ian Sharman who are all very inspiring as well.I read all these guys blogs as they have been running a long time and are achieving some amazing things and it gives you something to aspire to.

No comments:

Post a Comment