Wednesday 6 April 2011

Recovery, Halstead and Vermont

4 days after 100 miler, everything has calmed down a little now. I am still on a high, still a little tired, not sleeping well for some reason. My legs are still a little stiff, I told myself I would take this week off to rest and enjoy myself. Hopefully I will recover well with no injuries, I now have 2 personal goals over the next few months

1) To break 3 hours in a marathon, current p.b 3.13. I have one opportunity which is the Halstead marathon 4 weeks on Sunday, this seems a bit mental considering it's 5 weeks after the 100. You have got to set your goals high in life though. If my legs are okay, I will go easy next week then the 3 weeks after I will do a lot of speed work, interval training to give myself the chance. I obviously have the endurance and mental aspect, I just need to work on the speed, I ran 1.28.50 at the Brentwood half, I would just need to keep that pace up for double the distance. This maybe a lot to ask but I like to set the bar high.

2)Vermont 100 miler, only after finishing Umstead the other day I was thinking I love this sh8t and would love another piece of the action in the States. I had an eye on Vermont earlier in the year and was tempted to enter but didn't as not sure I would enjoy 100 or not. Turns out I loved the 100 and think I have potential with this distance, Vermont is harder than Umstead as will be hotter and bigger climbs. Here is the race description http://www.vermont100.com/100_mile_description.html, 14,000ft climb compared to 8,000ft climb at Umstead. Anyway the race is full at the moment but I have spoken to Julia the race director and James has and I am now first reserve so hopefully someone drops over the next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment