Tuesday 18 October 2016

Centurion Autumn 100

On Saturday I ran the Centurion Autumn 100 mile race. This race was a series of 4 'out and backs' starting in Goring and Streatley.

Below are the 4 spurs:
Spur 1: (Thames Path): Streatley to Little Wittenham and return
Spur 2: (Ridgeway): Streatley to Swyncombe Farm and return
Spur 3: (Ridgeway): Streatley to Chain Hill and returnSpur 4: (Thames Path): Streatley to Reading and return

In the run up to this race I put in a 10 week training block averaging around 50 miles a week with my longest run being a marathon on my own. I felt pretty good going into the race and was excited about starting my 5th x 100 mile race. 

I headed down to Goring from London on Friday night after work on the train and checked into a Hostel (had my own room) which was 5 minutes from the start. Friday night involved an early night and the usual thoughts going through your head - "Why am I doing this?"

The race started at 10am, this is quite late for a 100 miler (most start at 6am and some at 4am). The challenge with this race being mid October and the nights drawing in - was that the majority of this race would be run in the dark.

I woke up on Saturday morning at 6ish, had some breakfast (croissant, pain au chocolate and a banana) then headed to the start of the race for 8.30am to register. Registration involved the guys checking your bag for a water proof, gloves, hat, 2 x head torches, whistle, 1x litre of water and a mobile phone - this was mandatory kit and had to be carried at all times during the race. We made our way over to the start line and James did a race briefing for a few minutes. 





The race then kicked off and we headed off to Little Witteham on the first leg, which was the flattest of the 4. We made our way along the river and it was a lovely morning in terms of a nice temperature and blue skies. I ran with a guy called Tim for a bit and chatted away. We then reached Little Wittenham and turned around at the aid station. There were aid stations every 6.5 milesish and these were stocked with sandwiches, sausage rolls, wraps, chocolates and biscuits. When running a 100 miler I always try and eat something at every aid station plus take on a gel every 45 mins and an S CAP every hour.

I managed to run the first leg in 4 hours and went into the HQ to stock up on gels, I was greeted by Paul Rowlinson (an old running mate) who topped up my waters then I was off out on the 2nd spur. As I headed out on the 2nd spur I didn't feel good at all, this was probably the worst I felt in the whole race, I felt hot and sick so walked for a bit. After a while I started running then I got going again. This leg was great with a few more hills and more running in a forest versus by the river. I eventually reached the turn (Swyncome) and made my way back.

When I approached 37 miles, I saw Sam which was a great boost for me as I ran across a golf course. I made it back to HQ (50 miles) just after 6pm as it was getting dark. I was feeling better now and knew I was half way which is a massive boost in an ultra. I changed my top, Sam made me a tea and I was off again.

The next leg was now dark and we were heading out on to the Ridgeway to Chain Hill - this was a hilly section. I ran the first half of this leg with a German guy called Marcus and it was good to chat through the miles. I turned at 62.5 miles and it was just before 10 and decided to do a Facebook live video as never had done one before plus thought it would be a good bit of Saturday night entertainment. Thanks to everyone who tuned in!

https://www.facebook.com/peter.goldring1?pnref=story

I managed to finish 75 miles in just over 14 hours. I again stocked up with gels at HQ and grabbed some food then headed out to Reading on the final leg.  This was a long lonely leg, there was noone around. I headed out to Reading along the River and then along some wet fields which were making my blistered, swollen feet wet. I managed to get to Reading in 17 hours and 35 mins. This was a good confidence boost and with 13 miles to go, I knew I had this- just had to make it back to the HQ.

It was a massive slog but I made it home in 20 hours and 44 mins with a small sprint finish :). The last 25 miles were a massive mental battle and took over 6 hours. When I ran over the line it was great to be greeted by Sam and to sit down and collect my 5th x 100 mile buckle. This was a great race and I would recommend to anyone who wants to give a 100 miler a go. I'm typing this with some sore legs and a little tired but still buzzing. Who knows what is next!








No comments:

Post a Comment