Sunday 9 May 2010

Essex Marathon 2010


Today I was running the Essex Marathon after a week of cycling 360 miles in Morocco. I flew back yesterday and was very tired and lacked a lot of energy, I entered this marathon a while ago as my mate Ash was running his first marathon...waking up this morning I knew it would be tough but couldn't let Ash down, he picked me up at 8.30 -we arrived at the course at 9.30 and were greeted by Ash's Mum Sally and boyfriend Kev - quick photo and we were off. I was aiming for 3.15, I ran the first mile in 6.32 which is far too quick...after 2 miles I felt terrible and was thinking why am I running this after the week I have had, I battled on and pulling out was crossing my mind which never normally does in a marathon. I got to 13 miles in 1.37 which was perfect for 3.15 but then hit a wall at 17, Sally and Kev were riding their bikes around the course so I saw them and they said Ash was close behind so I slowed down and he caught me up, I ran a mile with him and had a release, ended up finishing in 3.26.43...course was very undulating...I lacked a lot of energy today and was in no fit state to run a marathon but happy with that time, a p.b for me...with the right preparation 3.15 is definitely achievable.Ash finished in 3.34.15 which is a great effort for a first marathon, I am very proud of him...now siting here writing this I am very tired and looking forward to a few days of no running or cycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment